Simple Southwest Skillet
I am back on the blog after the best recharge we could have had! We flew back to South Carolina this weekend to celebrate some of our dear friends getting married. I cannot even put into words how it felt to get out of our hotel living and out of Oklahoma for a few days to reunite with friends and family! If you know me at all personally, you know that after two months of not much human interaction, this weekend left me with the fullest heart!
In other news -- Simple Southwest Skillet. Week nights just got a whole lot easier. I am not even lying when I say that we eat some version of this recipe every single week. Daniel says that in all the things I make, this is his favorite... he is quite easy to please.
The best part about this meal is that it can be ready in minutes if prepped correctly.
At the beginning of each week, I like to roast up a bunch of veggies to throw in with my eggs in the morning, with some lunch meat, and in meals like this! I just so happen to love the combo of roasted sweet potatoes and shallots (I pair this a lot with my favorite Chicken Sausage for a quick breakfast or lunch). In this case, I thought the sweetness that the sweet potatoes offer would pair well with the spicy base of this taco skillet.
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey(ground turkey 93% lean 7% fat raw)
- medium jar of pace picante salsa (sauce salsa ready to serve)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (sweet potato raw unprepared)
- 1 can low sodium black beans(bean black mature seed canned low sodium)
- 2 shallots
- Head of butter lettuce (or iceberg -- your preference here)
- Optional: cheese, guac, Avocado Dressing
- Brown the meat on medium heat, until no longer pink
- Pour salsa and black beans into the mixture, let simmer for 10-15 minutes
- You could leave the recipe as is above, or throw in 2 roasted sweet potatoes (truly, any other veggie)
- Sweet Potatoes: dice potatoes, toss in 1 tbsp olive oil, roast at 450 degrees until tender (about 20-30 minutes)
- Gather "lettuce cups", fill with taco mixture, top with goodies, and ENJOY!